[MACEP] memories

Jeanine DuBois jdubois1776 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 21:46:45 PDT 2017

Hi, folks,

My life was a little scattered when this (below) came through about Paul Nelson, so I sent up prayers and well wishes but never got to post.

Paul first taught me html 2.0 in 1994, I think it was. My first website (practicing that summer) was my sugar-free desserts. I’m sure glad I don’t have to keep track of all those tags and end tags anymore! 😊
At the time, I (a high school English teacher) had web pages for school when even tech reps didn’t. Strange world.

A friend in another district first told me about macep, and I met with Jim Worden, who filled me in a bit and welcomed me to attend. And Pat Gates (who has since passed on) encouraged me to take off right after class, so we could go together to macep meetings.

Earl introduced me to Geometer Sketchpad at a SlumberTech. It seemed like Earl opened up a whole new world for me, and I passed along the resource info to our math teachers at Tigard High. I just looked and found this website:
http://www.dynamicgeometry.com

Mike Cullum was IT director at TTSD  and got me on a roll writing grants, which I wrote and used for tech kids mentoring teachers, among other things.
My favorite memory from that era was a young freshman student who was socially challenged. Boy, did he hit his stride and find support and respect after he prepared web pages and used them to teach PowerPoint including graphs. One day after school, he taught a workshop to teachers and the principal, all who were clamoring for PPT. He was mic’d, videotaped, handled Q&A, and even had evaluation forms for participants to complete. He got rave reviews, the teachers were thrilled, and after that, he walked taller with a smile on his face.

Mark, Thor, JoAnn, and so many more making a difference in my teaching, my skills, my heart.

Such good people and warm memories!

Thank you all! My life was forever uplifted and enlightened, thanks to macep.
Jeanine DuBois

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Mike Cullum <mike.cullum at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Good Morning,
>>
>> It is with great sadness that I need to let everyone know that Paul
>> Nelson has passed away.  Paul's wife Jeanette says that, "Paul passed
>> away suddenly after spending the day in his beloved shop doing what he
>> loved, restoring another Thistle sailboat [image: ⛵]️ "
>>
>> Paul was a great colleague and friend, as well as an original MACEPer.
>> Many who are working in instructional technology today don't realize
>> how much they owe to Paul and his creative dedication to making
>> technology work for students and teachers alike.  I will miss you my friend.
>>
>> I will pass along any information about a memorial service as soon as
>> it comes my way.
>>
>> Mike

Jeanine DuBois
www.compassions-doorway.com
Certified TAT® Trainer / Professional
biofield / energy work
Project Visionary

"Live from your heart, that you may know the fullness of Life and the sweetness of Love." ~ Jeanine DuBois