[MACEP] Google Apps for Education not installing apps to Chromebooks

Ben Mabbott mabbottb at nclack.k12.or.us
Wed Apr 8 16:41:39 PDT 2015

Hi Mary,

Forgive me if you are already aware of all this, but apps don't really
'install' to a Chromebook. Instead, they will be assigned to a group of
users based on the Organizations in your Google Apps domain. So, if you
have an Organization named 'Students', and you assign an App to be
installed for that group, any user account in that group will have that App
in their apps menu from then on, regardless of the Chromebook they're
signing in to. However, there is no assignment of the app to the device
itself, so you will not see the app 'installed' unless you are signing in
with an account that's in your domain and is a member of the Organization
you assigned the app to.

You'll find that most Chrome management settings are based entirely on the
user that is signing in, rather than being tied to any particular device.
That can be helpful, as it makes the devices themselves just a commodity.
If one needs to be replaced, it's simple since there was not much tied to
the device itself. Classes can use any cart in the building and have the
same environment, etc. However, it can be a bit tricky to plan for since
it's such a shift from how management of devices has worked in the past.

--
___
Ben Mabbott
mabbottb at nclack.k12.or.us