[MACEP] Kids In between materials

I Erbs eyera3 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:16:03 PDT 2014

Hello,
Back in the day when I taught Alt Ed, I used High Interest low readability
materials from a company called Kids In Between. They have gone out of
business. I am looking for:

[image: Science & Health]

*INTRODUCTION*

*Our science units are filled with the same information you'd find in a
regular science text book. The information however, is simplified to a 4.0
readability. Concepts are explained so that struggling students can finally
grasp some of the material that had eluded them.*

*COMPREHENDING* *SCIENCE*

*reproducibles ...$20.00*We took what normally can be a difficult
subject—science—and developed materials that teach comprehension skills
such as inference, implication, and using contextual clues to determine the
meaning of unknown words. The five reading passages range in length from 3
to 5 pages, and provide the material, that when used with the worksheets,
help the students develop the aforementioned skills.  The kids will be
reading scientific information although the intent is not to increase their
knowledge in any given area of science.

** Sample Page
<https://web.archive.org/web/20081120050234/http://kidsinbetween.com/Sample%20pages/Science%20(Comprehending%20Science%20p.1).pdf>
  *
                                         ** Sample Worksheet
<https://web.archive.org/web/20081120050234/http://kidsinbetween.com/Sample%20pages/Science%20(Comprehending%20Science%201).pdf>*

*PLANTS*

*reproducibles ...$6.00*

This unit includes plants, plant parts, plant types and genetics as
genetics relate to plants. Includes text, worksheets, test and answer key.

*WHAT'S WITH THE WEATHER?*

*reproducible text, worksheets and tests ...$13.00*

If you need to teach about tornadoes, hurricanes, wind, rain, snow, sleet
and the mysterious jet stream it is in this Kids In Between unit on weather.

*STRENGTHENING PHYSICAL SCIENCE SKILLS:  For Middle and Upper Grades*

*reproducibles ...$21.00*

Develop students' interest and confidence in advanced science studies by
building science vocabulary, practicing math skills, and exploring physical
science concepts.  Twelve units cover matter, gravity, density, motion,
simple machines, electricity, light and more.  Also included is a CD ROM
with interactive exercises that are automatically scored and printed,
printable science reading activities and worksheets.

*LIFE SCIENCE QUEST FOR MIDDLE GRADES*

*reproducibles ...$13.00*

Teach students to use good scientific techniques while studying cells,
plants, animals, DNA, heredity, ecosystems, and biomes.  Promote scientific
inquiry with hands-on activities and labs using common classroom
materials.  This book is useful as either core curriculum or as a
supplement and reinforces information in visual ways.  A glossary, lists of
standards met, unit overviews, teacher guide and enrichment suggestions are
also included.

*DISCOVERING ECOLOGY*

*reproducibles ...$8.00*

Develop environmental awareness and profile the different biomes of the
earth while focusing on current topics.  Topics include alternative fuels,
air, water, and land pollution, acid rain, the greenhouse effect, the ozone
layer, and the effect we have on the environment.  Includes detailed maps
and diagrams, vocabulary words, unit projects, exercises, illustrations,
and everything else you need to teach a thematic unit in Ecology.

*THE HOUSE WE LIVE IN*

*reproducibles ...$18.00*

The "house" in the title refers to the planet Earth, and the unit is our
version of dealing with the environment and ecology. Includes a wide
variety of topics such as environments, adaptation, the food chain,
pollution, hazardous and toxic wastes, conservation and endangered species.

*THE SOLAR SYSTEM*

*reproducibles ...$6.00*

The title says it all. Covers the sun, moon, stars, planets and space.

** Sample Page
<https://web.archive.org/web/20081120050234/http://kidsinbetween.com/Sample%20pages/Science%20(The%20Solar%20System%20p.6).pdf>
  *
                                         ** Sample Worksheet
<https://web.archive.org/web/20081120050234/http://kidsinbetween.com/Sample%20pages/Science%20(The%20Solar%20System%203).pdf>*

*FISH*

*reproducibles ...$6.00*

The title says it all. Covers fish, their habits, their physiology and the
differences between fish and the other creatures that inhabit the earth.
Includes text, worksheets and tests.

*N, ON, AND ABOVE THE EARTH*

*reproducibles ...$22.00*

Any book that claims to cover what's in, on, and above the earth sounds as
if it would be about 6 billion pages long, but as we do with most of our
materials, we take difficult subjects and simplify them. For this unit, we
go to great lengths to simplify the atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere,
rocks and minerals, and the geological time scale.  Includes worksheets,
tests and answer key.

*IT'S THERE BUT YOU CAN'T SEE IT*

*reproducibles ...$22.00*

There are so many wee little things in the world that can't be seen or
heard.  The wee little things that are covered in this unit are things like
bacteria, viruses, cells, and other sorts of microorganisms that are both
helpful and harmful to mankind or womankind as one teacher wanted us to
point out.  We realize that most of the time it's difficult enough trying
to explain to your students about things that can be seen, let along
getting them to develop a concept of things that can't be seen.  There are
some difficult concepts presented in this unit, but we did our best to
simplify those concepts.  We didn't bother including pictures of things
like genes because somehow the kids get confused with such drawings.
Instead, we have silly cartoon drawings.  Also includes a chapter on the
scientific method, heredity and Mendel.  Includes worksheets, tests, and
answer key as well.

*HEALTHY EATING & EXERCISE*

*reproducibles ...$13.00*

Since Dr. Oz is not making personal appearances in the classroom, we have
this new book available.  Make planning a healthy lifestyle fun and
informative with these activities, games, experiments, tips, and recipes
based on the new USDA food pyramid.  Students in middle school and high
school learn to understand food labels, chart their own eating and exercise
habits, as well as determine what they can do to improve their own health.

*WOW! WHAT A MIND AND BODY*

*reproducibles ...$18.00*

You can use *Wow! What a Mind and Body! *to explain to your students what
would happen to your lunch if you had time to eat it because *Wow!* covers
such things as the digestive system. It also covers all the other body
systems from the circulatory system to the nervous system. The text is
written in an informal style in an attempt to hold their interest and
distract them from operating on themselves with ballpoint pens.

*HEALTH, WELLNESS & FITNESS*

*reproducibles ...$13.00*

Helps students make informed decisions for a lifetime of fitness and
wellness. Students will be asked to study and evaluate their current
lifestyles and then be shown how their lifestyles could affect their future
health and happiness.  They will learn that their health depends on many
factors and their health can be jeopardized by tobacco, drugs and
communicable diseases. They will also learn to keep records on their health
and fitness.  Unit explores nutrition, emotional heath, disease, heredity,
first aid, exercise and more. Includes the worksheets needed for students
to begin keeping records of their health and fitness information.

*ILLNESS & DISEASE*

*reproducibles ...$15.00*

Many, but not all, diseases are covered in this unit that explains the
causes as well as the prevention of disease. Includes text, worksheets, and
answer key.

for a colleague. Does anyone have access to any of these titles?

Thanks
Ira Erbs
IT Teacher
and Consultant
Portland, OR

Your worst day at work is better than your best day in Prison
Darrin King